The Department of Cardiovascular Medicine at Tokyo Medical and Dental University aims to elucidate the cause of the cardiovascular diseases, including ischemic heart diseases, arrhythmia and heart failure, and to develop their novel therapeutic strategies by assessing both basic and clinical research approaches.
We encourage young doctors to be well-balanced physicians who focus on medical therapy as well as on research. Students are encouraged and being trained to take an active role at global level, as well. We strive to make high contributions in the area of cardiovascular medicine within Japan.
The purposes of our investigation are to reveal the etiology and pathophysiology of cardiovascular diseases, thereby developing novel technologies for diagnosis and treatment. For that purpose we investigate clinical cases and experimental animal models. Our faculty members pursue a wide variety of basic research, ranging from investigations on the molecular mechanism of heart failure to the development of novel interventional devices for patients with angina pectoris. Current strengths of the program include molecular cardiology under Yasuhiro Maejima MD, PhD. We also actively investigate immunocardiology, the molecular mechanism of pulmonary hypertension and periodontitis-associated cardiovascular diseases.
1) System of origin with tachyarrhythmias (particularly supraventricular tachycardia) (Hirao)
2) Medical therapy and ablation for tachyarrhythmias (Hirao)
3) Research for the conduction of atrio-ventricular node (Hirao)
4) Research and Therapy for arrhythmia by using cardioendoscopy (Hirao)
5) Research of atrial fibrillation from origin of pulmonary vein (Hirao)
6) Research of genetic factor with atrial fibrillation (Hirao)
7) Research of ablation for atrial fibrillation (Hirao, Goya)
8) Clinical study for treatment of acute coronary syndrome (Ashikaga, Yamamoto, Umemoto, Sasaoka, Hatano)
9) Molecular mechanism and treatment of myocardial ischemia and reperfusion injury (Maejima, Hatano)
10) Molecular mechanism and treatment of coronary restenosis and vascular disease (Maejima, Hatano)
11) Treatment of heart failure and cardiomyopahty by myocardial regeneration (Maejima)
12) Regulation of arteriosclerosis by targeting transcription factors (Maejima)
13) Diagnostic imaging of aortitis (Tezuka)
14) Assessment by imaging of coronary artery and cardiac function (Tezuka)
15) Molecular mechanism and treatment of aortitis ( Maejima)
16) Assessment of vascular endothelial dysfunction in vasculitis, heart failure and arrhythmia (Maejima)
17) Application in gene therapy for heart failure and cardiomyopathy (Maejima)
18) Molecular system of myocardial remodeling in heart failure and ventricular hypertrophy (Maejima)
There are many fruitful collaborative efforts between our department and other departments with the TMDU, such as the Department of Bio-informational Pharmacology, Medical Research Institute. Collaborations with other institutions are also common. Especially, we closely collaborate with the Department of Cell Biology and Molecular Medicine, Rutgers-New Jersey Medical School (Newark, NJ, USA; Junichi Sadoshima MD, PhD). Our cardiologists continuously contribute to establish evidence-based cardiovascular medicine through clinical researches. So far, we are engaged in over ten clinical studies. The targets of our clinical research include heart failure, ischemic heart disease, arrhythmia, cardiac imaging and Takayasu arteritis.
The Department of Cardiovascular Medicine at Tokyo Medical and Dental University (TMDU) primarily aims at offering patient-centered care for every person who suffer from cardiovascular diseases, including ischemic heart diseases, arrhythmia, heart failure, valvular disorders and vasculitis. Our cardiologists are experts in electrophysiology, interventional cardiology, heart failure, and cardiac imaging who make full use of state-of-the-art diagnostic tests and therapeutic procedures to provide high-quality care for every patient. We also actively engage in basic and clinical research to elucidate the mechanism of heart & vessel disorders for providing novel therapeutic strategies to the patients of cardiovascular diseases. In addition to high-quality patient care and innovative research, our faculty members are vigorously involved in the education and training to the young physicians and researchers specializing in cardiovascular medicine. Thus, we are continuously making every effort to serve the highest quality of patient care, education and innovative research of cardiovascular medicine.
Clinical Services & Other Works
Our clinical training program provides the trainee with outstanding skills in clinical cardiology. The trainees will develop their clinical knowledge, clinical judgment, procedural skills and interpersonal skills required as a specialist in cardiovascular diseases. The program provides clinical cardiology training not only at the University Hospital but also at our outstanding affiliate hospitals (N=22), including Kameda General Hospital, Musashino Red-Cross Hospital, Tsuchiura Kyodo Hospital and Yokosuka Kyosai Hospital. Our training program for research emphasizes developing academic cardiologists who will become leaders in cardiovascular research. The program offers training of basic, clinical and translational researches not only at the Graduate School of our department but also at other departments with the TMDU and at other institutions described above.