Japanese women boast world’s #1 longevity, although the final stage of their lives is not necessarily of good health-related quality. To stay physically and psychologically sound in later life, women need to optimize their health starting from their midlife, especially through good diet and exercise. Tokyo Medical and Dental University (TMDU) Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology have promoted midlife women’s health with our renowned Systemic Health and Nutrition Education Program (SHNEP) since 1995, which inspired Kikkoman Corporation to generously support to establish a new department in TMDU focusing on “Health Maintenance of Women through Food and Nutrition” in 2012. Dr. Masakazu Terauchi, Associate Professor and Chair of TMDU Department of Women’s Health, is intensively studying with his colleagues about the changes in women’s bodies and minds induced by aging, and the effects of bioactive food ingredients on them.
Department of Women’s Health has dealt with a variety of topics listed below since its inception in 2012, mainly focusing our research on the effects of bioactive food ingredients on women’s physical and psychological health.
- Effects of grape seed extract on middle-aged women's health-related quality of life
- Effects of hormone therapy and keishibukuryogan on blood pressure in perimenopausal and postmenopausal women
- Effects of nonbenzodiazepine, melatonin receptor agonist, and Kampo medication on sleep disturbances in perimenopausal and postmenopausal women
- Effects of selective sertonin reuptake inhibitors on subjective and objective sleep parameters in middle-aged women with depression
- Effects of oral contraceptive pills on sleep disturbances in young women with primary dysmenorrhea
- Effects of tomato juice on cardiovascular risk markers in middle-aged women
- Effects of soy isoflavone aglicone on middle-aged women's health-related quality of life
- Menopausal hormone therapy: route of administration and platelet-derived microparticles
- Effects of soy lecithin on middle-aged women's tiredness
- Effects of soy milk on middle-aged women's sleep
- Long-term effectiveness of eszopiclone on chronic insomina disorder in middle-aged women
- Oxidative stress and postmenopausal osteoporosis: prevention of fragility fractures with healthy dietary habits
- Effects of grape seed proanthocyanidin extract on the endothelial function in patients with stage 1 hypertension
Cooperating with the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, we have shared responsibility in the education of Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as in the training of medical students on clinical clerkship.
Clinical Services & Other Works
Cooperating with the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, we have provided a comprehensive diagnosis, treatment, and disease management solution for women suffering from:
- menopausal symptoms
- premature ovarian insufficiency
- postmenopausal osteoporosis
- pelvic organ prolapse
- lower urinary tract syndrome
- anxiety disorder
- premenstrual syndrome etc.